Did you know ,9.6 lakh DLs are issued or renewed per month across India. In case of RCs, the figures are around 13 lakh per month? You do now, you are welcome!
On a serious note, continuing the momentum of One nation one ___ . Present government has decided to make driving licence and registration certificate formats to be uniform across the country. This move comes with the objective of improving using experience, and more importantly making it easier for enforcement agencies to carry out various tasks by reducing significant amount of time and ensuring standardization.
The old DL and RC will be valid still but until their expiry dates,of course.
The Government hopes to gradually replace these existing old format RC and DLs’ . However, from July 2019 all DLs and RCs being issued will have same formats and looks.
Some of the key security features which exist are guilloche printing, micro-printed text, micro-line, ultraviolet florescent colour, hologram and watermark.
New features or information added to DL are :
- issue and validity date; name, blood group and organ donation details of the license holder; emergency number; QR Code; and vehicle category.Organ donation in DLs is a good initiative, as it will help save many lives.
- DLs will also mention details if the vehicle is specially designed for use by physically challenged individual.
- Smart DLs and RCs will have data stored in microchips and QR Code.
- NFC ( near-field communication) feature, similar to debit cards. This feature will make it easier for enforcement agencies to access information about the individual or vehicle through hand-held devices and helping them catch those not abiding by traffic rules with ease and efficiently.
- ‘Indian Union Driving License’ for DL and RCs will have the title ‘Indian Union Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and it will come with logos of national and state government.
- Blood group and organ donation details of the license holder; emergency number; QR Code; and vehicle category.
New DLs and RCs will cost around Rs 15-20 more to make.
We welcome improved and better transport tech embedded, comment down your suggestions and thoughts below!